Monday, April 11, 2011

Happy Birthday Nanna!!!


All right, I did it!!! HUGE fantasy flower is the show stopper of the week! I painstakingly made this flower out of layers of red fondant, and once it was dry, I airbrushed it with red shimmer to make it really pop! The cake itself is a small two tier cake, 4in and 6in. chocolate cake, strawberry filling, covered in chocolate ganache and then decorated with fondant. The black ribbon is fondant as well. This cake was too special and dramatic to sit on a hod-um cake board, so, shes rests on a pretty little mirror! She has NO idea I was making her a cake, so I hope she will be very surprised and love it!

4 comments:

  1. That flower is AMAZING! You go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief - that is spectactular Kayla - *faint*
    I LOVE IT....honestly, i think it just gorgeous - and there is no doubt your grandmother will just be speechless at such a beautiful design.

    WELL DONE - again, its gorgeous.

    I must attempt one day - maybe - perhaps - loll

    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maxine, It wasn't nearly as difficult to make as I thought it would be! ATTACHING it to the cake, NOW THAT is the challenge! It looks light as air, but fondant and gumpaste is heavy! Gravity defying! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, now i am thinking that when i make one i might attach the largest petal directly to the cake (WHEN DRY)- then attach the rest of the flower to that - which would mean i have more of a *base* for the flower to adhere too -
    Hmm, think i shall ponder this some more.

    BUT I STILL LOVE YOURS - JUST STUNNING.

    Maxine

    ReplyDelete